Saturday 27 April 2019

A little time in California

At the end of February and into March  I had the good fortune to spend a little time in California. While birds and mammals are usually my targets, on this trip I was able to spot a few Reptiles to so here you go.
At the Irvine Regional Park I was pleased to find a "hurtle of turtles". Now I know as I am certain that you are aware that a group of turtles is called a "bale". I just thought that with the concentration of these Red-eared Sliders, to get from one side of the group to the other, they would have to hurtle several others.

On the other side of the pond I was able to get much closer to a pair of these sweethearts.
At the small zoo that is located at the park I was also able to capture this close up of what I believe is a Gopher Tortoise.
On the 9th of March we went into the desert and at one of the parks near Palm Springs I took this image of another Gopher Tortoise. This is a younger Tortoise as you can almost "count" his growth rings on his back scutes.
A couple days later, Lam-Son and I were out and he told me about a spot in Los Angeles where were likely to find some Green Sea Turtles, did I want to go take a look?  Absolutely was my immediate reply and we were not disappointed as there seemed to be a few of these lovely creatures around. They seemed to "Bob" up and look to see what was on the shore.
What a great surprise! Another terrific encounter with yet another species of turtle.
Spring is here in Nova Scotia so please keep an eye out for out turtle friends, and report those sightings to the Turtle Patrol @ (902) 240-8332

yours in Turtling,

Paul T

No comments:

Post a Comment